Question Engine Management Light

I own a Skoda Fabia 1.4i Elegance with 89000 miles on the clock.

For the last 2-3 years the Engine Management Light has been on. when scanned it comes up with a number of faults and has on occasion just registered a fault with the EGR valve -which has been replaced only for the light to come back on,

As the car is only worth about 2k the option of taking it to the main dealer to replace the Engine management unit as this costs about 700 seems a bad one.

Seems it has faulty sensor as the car generally runs ok although the Engine Management system has crashed altogether,

Any tips please?

Default 1.4 16V Fabia

Hi,
    I'm driving my mums 2002 1.4 16V Fabia, the engine managment light came on a number of times during the warranty and was reset by Skoda, when it came on at 62k my dad paid half and hours labour to have it reset for it to come back on the very next day... we're now on 116k and I think the lights been on for the majority of it.

I was playing connect four, ABS, traction control and engine managment but the garage had to reset everything for the MOT so only got the engine managment light on at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wyvern View Post
    I own a Skoda Fabia 1.4i Elegance with 89000 miles on the clock.

For the last 2-3 years the Engine Management Light has been on. when scanned it comes up with a number of faults and has on occasion just registered a fault with the EGR valve -which has been replaced only for the light to come back on,

As the car is only worth about 2k the option of taking it to the main dealer to replace the Engine management unit as this costs about 700 seems a bad one.

Seems it has faulty sensor as the car generally runs ok although the Engine Management system has crashed altogether,

Any tips please?
    As long as its running and working let it be. We have faults on ours ABS SYSTEM,GENERAL SYSTEMS, AND ANOTHER. I have had to bypass computer to get altenator to charge battery and we have to be careful as somtimes the ABS kicks in under normal breaking. Case of release peddle and re-apply on odd accassion. Ideally we should pay 800 for repairs but would be better of breaking it for parts and buying something else.

Quote Originally Posted by robinjef View Post
    Hi,
    I'm driving my mums 2002 1.4 16V Fabia, the engine managment light came on a number of times during the warranty and was reset by Skoda, when it came on at 62k my dad paid half and hours labour to have it reset for it to come back on the very next day... we're now on 116k and I think the lights been on for the majority of it.

I was playing connect four, ABS, traction control and engine managment but the garage had to reset everything for the MOT so only got the engine managment light on at the moment.
    Robin

My Y reg Fabia has now done 101k and still has the Engine Management Light on- but with no apparent adverse effects. Just getting a new MoT for it

Encouraged to know youe one has done 116k

Derek

You may have noticed a yellow warning light on your dash that may say "Service Engine Soon" or simply look like a picture of an engine. This is the Malfunction Indicator Light, or Check Engine Light. If the light is on while you are driving, it indicates an emissions related failure of a system or component on your car.Keep in mind that emissions standards are pretty tight, and the light can be turned on by literally hundreds of different causes. Sometimes, the light comes on with no noticable change in the car's performance, and sometimes the car performance suffers significantly. Anything from a loose gas cap to a major engine fault can trigger the light.The way this light works is through your car's on board engine management computer. It has the primary job of making sure the exhaust emissions remains within limits. It runs "tests" on these systems and components... some are run all the time, and some only run once a drive cycle. If a test it runs fails, it stores that information. If it is a critical system, it will turn the light on as well. If not, the computer will wait until a second testing verifies the problem, and then turn the light on.